Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Capital, Washington, DC


My journey brought me to DC right at the same time as our nation's birthday. The schedule also made it so that I would have to be in the Baltimore and DC area for a couple days in order to see both of those teams play home games. 

While in DC I went to the Smithsonian Art Museum, an outdoor place with large pieces of art, the Washington Monument, The Lincoln Memorial, The Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial and The Smithsonian Castle as well the Freer gallery of art. 


The next day I went to The Air and Space Museum, the Nationals game and then walked around the Jefferson Memorial, Kennedy Memorial, and Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. The game went very late due to rain so by the time I walked around the monuments it was well past midnight and by the time I was finished closer to 1:30 am. It was incredible to be one of the only and sometimes the only person at the monument at the time I was there. I loved sitting on the steps on the Jefferson Memorial and looking out at the rest of Washington seeing the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln memorial and other landmarks lit under the night sky. 

The 3rd day was the 4th of July, I went to the National Archives, The Air and Space Museum, Botanical Gardens and the Capital for the concert on the West Lawn and then watched the fireworks over the Washington Monument. It was truly amazing to see our founding documents on the 4th of July. It brought tears to my eyes and a great thankfulness for the great country in which I am privileged to live in and for the bravery, courage and heroic deeds of our founding fathers, those who fought in the battles and wars and for those who currently serve our country in a similar capacity. I was awed by this. I was I could've taken pictures but it is not allowed due to the frailty of the documents which are now barely readable if at all to the naked eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment