Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Everything is Bigger in Texas, The Ballpark at Arlington


Home Plate Entrance
After the long drive from AZ I made it to Dallas for my next stop seeing the Rangers play my Rockies at the Ballpark at Arlington.
View From Our Seats
I was able to meet up with a couple friends who live in the Dallas area and go to the game with them. We ended up being a little late to the game as we hit Dallas traffic on a Friday evening. By the time we got to our seats it was already the second inning.

Stadium

As we were walking up to the stadium it is difficult not to notice how massive this stadium is. The other ones are big as they need to be to house so many people but this stadium is very tall and spans large area. The ballpark has tons and tons of brick with Texas arches with stars on them making up the outside. It is a beautiful ballpark from the outside. Once you are in your seats and looking out at the field it looks wonderful as well. in center field there are larger white suites that are also very Texas looking. From the 3rd deck the field does seem far away especially in comparison to other upper decks I have sat in already. The stadiums guts are pretty ugly in my opinion. Other stadiums have done a much better job of making the concourses and gut that hold up the stadium aesthetically pleasing to the eye in some way or from. The concourses don't have much on them either. There are food options but there aren't many stores or vendors and so it makes the concourses look and feel kinda naked and lonely.

The Boomstick

In preparing for this trip I was informed about a new menu item for the upcoming season. This food item called the Boomstick was a gigantic hot dog over two feet long and weighing over 2 lbs. I knew that when I got to the ballpark I wanted to try it. I asked around and found out where to get one. I got in a long line and waited and quickly saw that these things were massive. I was excited because these were the biggest hot dogs I had ever seen. By far. I purchased one of the monstars and went back to my friends and they were shocked at how big it actually was as was I. we started walking back to our seats and were stopped multiple times by people asking what it was and commenting about how big it was. There must have been 10 people that made comments on the way back to our seats. "There it is", "That thing is Huge", "What is the called", "where did you get that?" If you want to start a conversation at a Rangers home game purchase one of these hot dogs. People will still talk to you even if you have a visitors jersey on.

Game

The game was not as interesting as the previous one. The Rangers took care of the lowly Rockies and there wasn't a whole lot of excitement to the game. Roy Oswalt was getting his first start for the Rangers this year which was exciting. He has been a very good starting picther for years but didn't sign with anyone in the off season and finally signed with Texas in early late May or early June. He pitched very well esp. for not having pitched in the Big Leagues in many months. It was also exciting to watch Josh Hamilton Every time he came up to bat I and most people stopped to watch as he is the most exciting player in baseball to watch right now. He had a rough night though going 0-4 withs 2 Ks. The final score was 4-1.

Boomstick
Boomstick with my hand for some perspective
There were fireworks after the game that were good ones, although not spectacular there were very enjoyable to watch. The outside was like AT&T very appealing to the outside but the inside wasn't as good, although the Ballpark at Arlington is very cool looking in center field and it is very much Texas looking which I give props to the builders and designers for.
View of the Right Field Porch

No comments:

Post a Comment