Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In The Desert, Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ


View From My Seat

Chase Field was the next stop on the trip to see a game between the home town Diamondbacks and the Seattle Mariners. It was hot in Phoenix, 113 degrees this day. Chase Field has a retractable roof like Seattle's Safeco, thank goodness the roof was closed today, which made it a very comfortable 75 or so.

As I walked into the park I walked right to where a display celebrates the Dbacks only World Series title in 2001. There is a TV that is on repeat that shows footage of the championship game which is the 2nd most memorable postseason moment for me. I couldn't help but watch again as Mariano Rivera came in to close the 9th inning for the Yankees. Tony Womack hits a double down the right field line to drive in the tying run after a leadoff single, errant throw on a bunt and a fielder's choice left runners on first and second with one out. Craig Counsel was then hit to load the bases Louis Gonzalez hit a broken bat bloop single to center field that won the game. This world Series is my favorite of all time as a fan in my lifetime. The display had the World Series trophy, a ring, a base, game worn jerseys of Louis Gonzalez and Randy Johnson, a ball and a bat. It was cool to relive this moment of my early teen years.
World Series Display 

The Ballpark

The park was a nice one. with wide concourses and a very ritzy club level that I somehow managed to find myself on by accident. Chase Field is really know for one thing, having a swimming pool just behind the right center field fence. There have been a few balls hit into the pool there by players, although not that many as the Dbacks franchise is still a relatively new one. Centerfield isn't as odd as it looks on TV, there is plenty of room to walk behind the batter's eye and get around the the other side of the stadium. I sat in right field 4 rows from the field in very good seats for only $15. The Dbacks ticket prices were very reasonable.
Swimming Pool

Fountains Over the Pool After a Homer
Center Field

The Game


The game was one of the most exciting I have been to yet. there were a total of 8 Homeruns hit in this game, the Dbacks hit 6 including an inside the park home run by Ryan Roberts aka Tatman. after each Dbacks homerun fountains went off right behind the swimming pool spraying water into the pool and soaking anyone swimming. This was cool to see! 8 Home runs in one game is quite a feat especially coming from Petco park where if you see one home run in a game there you are lucky. Justin Upton hit a LONG home run which I was happy to see, even though he is in quite a slump right now. The ball landed in box seats that are attached to the batter's eye and almost made it onto the concourse which is quite a shot. The ball went well over 400 feet. Seeing an inside the park home run was also very exciting for me because I am pretty sure it was the first one I have seen at a major league game. the ball was hit deep to right-center the center fielder was not able to catch it and the ball bounced on the warning track then off the wall and hit hard enough to bounce back straight toward center field and rolled away from both the center fielder and the right fielder and gave Ryan Roberts a relatively easy inside the park home run. there was a play at the plate but it wasn't even close.

The Dbacks won the game 14-7 in a very high scoring day game. I really enjoyed this game and the ballpark was pretty nice as well. I'd definitely go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment